As of September 2022, Grade 9 students will no longer be required to choose between applied or academic-level courses. This change is the result of strong evidence across Waterloo Region and Ontario that supports not having Grade 8 students choose between applied and academic courses. The goal is to provide more equitable outcomes for all students. This shift is called de-streaming.
LEARN MORE ABOUT GRADE 9 DE-STREAMING IN THE WRDSB
HOW DOES DESTREAMING IMPACT OUR GRADE 9 PROGRAM/COURSES FOR SEPT. 2023?
- ENGLISH, SCIENCE & MATH:
- available as destreamed courses only (ENL 1WI, SNC 1WI and MTH 1WI) – academic and applied levels are no longer available
- CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY:
- offered as academic only (applied course removed)
- offered at the academic level for students who have received elementary French training – either core or French immersion (FSF 1DI)
- FSF 1OI is offered again for 2023-2024 – intended for students with little to no French elementary experience who still wish to take a high school French class
- students coming from French Immersion – please connect with your grade 8 guidance for potential grade 9 options
- FAST FORWARD:
- not affected by destreaming changes – essential/Fast Forward courses continue as usual from grade 9 to 12
- PRE-ADVANCED PLACEMENT/AP:
- Math and science pre-AP courses are no longer available at WRSDB schools due to removal of streaming/course levels in grade 9
- Unless further Ministry changes are announced, PRE-AP math will commence in grade 10 (MPM 2DW) – no application necessary, but students should have a very strong foundation in grade 9 math to proceed
- Pre-AP science courses begin in grade 11 (Chemistry SCH 3UW & Physics SPH 3UW) – requires academic level science in grade 10
For additional information regarding future destreaming, please reach out to our GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT or speak with your grade 8 school guidance teacher!